A story from my sister  

Posted by Mathew C. Walker

I figured ya'll must be tired of hearing about me. Allow the spirit to teach you as you read this touching story from my sister who is serving her mission in Atlanta Georgia! (Names have been changed)

One of my favorite experiences was with Amanda.  We met her last week and invited her to church.  Sister Amanda was sure that she was coming. We were sure she was too.  She lives right in front of Sister Benson's, the home we meet in for church, so there are really little excuses to stop her from walking across the street for church.  (I love that we meet in a home!)  She did not come to church.  Sister Crawford and I were sad about this because we were so sure she was coming.  We decided to go see her Monday to see what happened and if we could help her in any way. 
What we came upon when we went to Amanda's house was something we never expected.  We pulled up and a young boy came out.  It was her nephew, John.  He told us to go in.  We had only met her one or two times briefly so we did not feel comfortable to just walk in.  We went up to the door and knocked.  An even smaller child walked up to the door and waved us in.  We knocked again.   Someone much older then said what the two children had already told us-come in.  When we walked in to the dimly light room there were couches and chairs set up against every wall of this spacious room.  Not one spot was empty. there was a big TV but it was not on everyone was just talking. We glanced around then one of us said, "So We are joining the family today".  One man got up and said sure have a seat.  We looked for Sister Amanda.   We saw her on the end of the room.  She told us John's brother had died Sunday night and that she is struggling understanding some things.  Why would God take such a young boy? He was only 20.  and why would he take him right after his family started getting over the death of his mother about 2 years previously?
Her family started exclaiming that God knows all and that we should not question Him.  Her "Evangelist" sister explained that there was not an answer.  There discussion got pretty heated.  I turned to my companion-who always knows what to do- and she was silent.  I said Sister Lets pray.  She said can we pray before any more discussion goes on.  The uncle Brother Smith pointing at me he said "Her."  They all stood up and held hands.  (think I'll hold hands to pray when I get back. I kinda like it)   I said a prayer in my heart for the spirit to guide me and then prayed out loud.  When the prayer was over Sister Crawford asked to show them something on the computer. She pulled a video on Mormon.org  that spoke about tragedy and feeling peace through the gospel.(I will let you know what video it was as soon as I find out) Most of the family left the room.  Amanda must have needed to see this video on her own because the spirit was strong.  We left her with the book of Mormon and another prayer and promised her peace as she read from it. 
We were able to attend the funeral on Saturday.  After the viewing of the body there was a grave site service where many churches were represented with song, sermons and scriptures.  It gave me lots of pondering time.  I feel so sad for those without the gospel in its fullness.  They love Jesus Christ-there is no arguing about that but something is missing.  I did not know quit how to put my finger on it until this mornings studies.  Preach My Gospel has a quote from a prophet (sorry to be so vague I cant remember how or where) it says many can invite people to Christ but we, [as representatives of Christ] are the only ones who can show them the door to the Celestral Kingdom.  This door is faith in Jesus Christ, Repentance or change, baptism by proper authority, the GIFT of the holy Ghost and Enduring or Enjoying to the end.   
We have pretty much met all of the pastors and preachers of the area now.  They are good men and women.  Paster Steve in conversation at the funeral said "this is a reminder that we need not wait another day to do the lords work" One Evangelist related the Holy ghost to a car in front of you on the road.  If you follow the car and don't speed around it then you have no need to fear.  These are some of the great things that I have learned from the church leaders here but again, we are the only ones who can open the celestial door. 
We also got to meet a less active man who is longing to come back.  His wife is not a member but he served a mission and is excited to hear that we are having services in Cusseta now.  Brother Jordan is another one of the children of God that gets me excited about this work.  I am excited to see him and his wife come closer to that door of the celestial Kingdom. 
Thank you all for reading some days I think more about ya'll when I write and others I just write.  I hope it's not too wordy and that you Enjoyed not endured to the end :)

This entry was posted on Monday, March 14, 2011 at 9:59 AM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment